The History of Padua College
Padua College’s rich Franciscan History is indicated in its name, which comes from the Franciscan friar Saint Anthony of Padua (1195-1231), appointed by St Francis as the first Professor of Theology for the friars. Padua is the University City of northern Italy where St Anthony died.
Padua began in 1956 when the Franciscan Sisters who cared for the parish primary school of St Anthony's were no longer able to cater for the large number of boys in their school. At the request of Sister Mary Bernadette O'Callaghan osf, the friars, who had taken charge of the Kedron parish since 1929, agreed to begin a separate school for boys.
Fr Damian Nolan ofm was appointed nominal Rector of the new school, which began with two lay teachers, Mrs Eileen Cameron and Mr John Fox, and 89 boys in Years 4, 5, and 6. The friars began teaching in the school in 1957 with the arrival of Fr Alban Mitchell ofm, Fr Angelo O'Hagan ofm and a little later, Fr Odoric ofm.
There have been Franciscan friars as rectors of the College since its foundation up until the resignation of Fr John Boyd-Boland ofm in 1999. Mr Robert Out was appointed the first lay Rector in 2001. The Franciscan Definitory continues to support the school with the appointment of friars to the staff when they are available. Fr John Boyd-Boland is the current Chaplain of the College.
Since 1956, the school population has grown significantly. The Greccio Campus (Years 5 and 6) caters for 280 students, while the Assisi Campus (Years 7-12) caters for 1080 students.
Visit the Franciscans Friars website: